November 21, 2017, 03:45:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NASCAR tries to controll Speed  (Read 1428 times)
Vivian
« on: April 25, 2005, 08:27:04 PM »

On Wind Tunnel last night, Despain mentioned that Nascar had contacted Speed and expressed unhappiness with the fact that they had reported an official had been fired over the Sauter carb incident.  That confirmed for me that Nascar does try to influence and control the tv reporting.  Dave did a good "My Take" on the issue and I am sure it is posted on their site.  I will have to research it.  Did anyone else watch and catch that?  I wonder now how long Dave will be allowed to be on Wind Tunnel.

Had Jeff Gordon co-hosting and that worked out good.  Jeff is mostly p.c. but sometimes he lets himself be human and that is good.
sally
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 09:51:59 PM »

I watched, Vivian, and he was right on.  I'd imagine that slap ""Nation" got from Nascar will teach them not to try to do any real NEWS, and stick to fluff.  The initial report about the fired official (who inspected the car POST race)  was on That's Racing, by David Poole.  And Nascar wonders why no one trusts their decisions?

sally
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 07:33:28 AM »

Vivian what does p.c. mean?
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 07:39:47 AM »

Basically nascar does control speed.

I think 1 thing nascar and the people who run the speed network need to realize is that there are other forms of racing and that some people like watching other series of racing besides nascar.

Like oh the last few endurance races they have to keep interrupting so speed can televise their nascar updates or their nascar programming.

Sometimes i hope they make a 2nd speed network so they can either give nascar total control of the first network or they can give nascar their own network.

Or they could use speed 2 and put the other series of racing like formula one and sportscar and etc etc. on it.

Because i like the sportscar races like the 12 hours of sebring 24 hours of lemans petit lemans and hate seeing them get interrupted.

That's another reason i didn't like pitbull. Or any nascar programming that may interfere with another race.

Personally i'd rather see cars on a racetrack racing rather than seeing a bunch of bobble head announcers try talking.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 12:33:50 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Had Jeff Gordon co-hosting and that worked out good.  Jeff is mostly p.c. but sometimes he lets himself be human and that is good.

Last night on IWCR, Michael said that Gordon said something like "Kurt's car was on a rail until he got near me and then it jumped the tracks..."  That was SO funny!  When I saw the replay of Busch bashing Gordon as he went by, I said "I bet that was payback for Martinsville" and then Spencer said the same thing.   :lol:

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 03:43:21 PM »

I first posted this on Monday:

NASCAR Nation returns tonight, and one wonders whether
the network will have to apologize for the "dirty laundry" from
Thursday, when Robin Pemberton confirmed the firing of the
NASCAR official.

In any event, the producers must be reminded (if they haven't
already) that, like all other shows, Nation exists at the
pleasure of NASCAR officials.  Remember Pit Bull?

P.S. Fox co-owns NASCAR Images along with NASCAR itself.  
None of the other television networks owns archival footage of any
other sports league (e.g. NFL Films, NBA Entertainment).  
Can anyone say, "conflict of interest?

There was no mention of the confrontation between Speed Channel and NASCAR on Monday's show.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 05:48:11 PM »

Gee, does this sound familiar?  

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/11485789.htm

Heil Nascar!

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 08:32:18 PM »

Bryan, p.c. is politically correct.  That is what Nascar wants all their drivers to be and Jeff is usually great about it but he has  IMO  decided to be just one of the guys who will occasionally let something human come forth since his divorce.   :wink:  JMO....
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 10:30:28 AM »

Sometimes it takes a divorce or breakup to let something human come forth.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 04:27:18 PM »

Bryan, thanks for staying up until 4:30 a.m. your time to post.  What happened, couldn't sleep? :lol:

Sally, great dig at the NASCAR officials!  You made your point while stopping just short of slander.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 05:48:54 PM »

But, if it's true, it can't be slander, can it?

sally
silly5
Rookie

FYI
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 10:46:22 PM »

FOX owns Speed Channel.
Nascar Images produces stuff for Speed Channel.
Nascar Images is owned by FOX & Nascar.  A 50-50 split.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 04:08:09 PM »

Ken, welcome back!

I know, I know, I posted that too.  What a conflict of interest. :oops:

Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 01:30:35 PM »

No i was just awake at that time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: