November 22, 2017, 06:21:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What do you think of the disqualification of Johnny Sauter from Saturday's Busch race?  (Voting closed: April 18, 2005, 04:42:00 PM)
Too strict - 2 (28.6%)
Just right - 4 (57.1%)
Not strict enough - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Punishment against Sauter  (Read 2178 times)
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2005, 07:05:50 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"
keep me posted vivian because this important to me.the integity of the inspection process should be as clean as possible.

When it all comes down to it, it's still racing and throughout the history of time, racing has had it's questionable inspection methods - from your local short track all the way up to CASHCAR.

So in a twisted way, it's ability to be reliability suspect has made racing predictable and therefore some sort of unspoken standard that all racers know about and live with.

Integrity where money is involved is unattainable.

Lou "if you turn your head just so and stand on one foot, you'll see what I mean" Lauer

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2005, 07:06:30 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"
desmond i do too but i don't hear you or cheryl commenting on my above concerns.if the car passed inspection due to an incomptent inspector that person should be fired and if this inspector was paid off he should arrested because this is bigger than one issue the intergity of the sport is at stake and you guys as fans should be concerned.please i would welcome your thoughts and comments.

I guess I feel like I've made it clear for some time now that I don't believe the sport has much integrity left.  If this is revealed to be NASCAR making Finch some sort of scapegoat in lieu of a team with more influence, then I won't be surprised at all.  

When NA$CAR sold the TV rights to the highest bidder instead of the network who had fueled their growth, then started stupid rules like the free pass, and then the Chase, they lost any integrity they might have ever had in my eyes.  Of course, even before that, it's common knowledge that they made plenty of "superstar calls" throughout history.  

I suppose all of the above together is why I'm losing more and more interest in NASCAR every day.   Sad   If "carburetor-gate" comes out to be a ploy by NASCAR, that will just be another nail in their coffin.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 12:54:33 AM »

Finch has appealed and I will be surprised if he wins the appeal.  Ron, I still haven't found any info on the inspectors yet but I will keep looking.

Lou wrote:

Integrity where money is involved is unattainable.

Is that why I am always suspicious of why and who Nascar shows favoritism to?
sally
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 03:23:13 AM »

According to Marty Smith (however reliable THAT is), some Nascar inspector is now a FORMER Nascar inspector over the Finch incident.  That would seem to indicate that there was a mistake in the inpection process somewhere.  Now, does that make the #1 team responsible for an inspector's mistake?  Maybe James Finch is telling the truth, that he presented the part and the inspector passed it.  Who, then, is repsonsible?  Hmmmmm.

sally :shock:
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2005, 02:38:07 PM »

Ron, I hear your concern, and, frankly, I admire it. That said, this is Nascar we are talking about, and I feel that Nascar messes up a lot more than we know about. Some of it is on purpose, just to keep the pot stirred, and people watching, listening and spending money.

JMO, as Vivian says, but I think this situation will get worse and worse. Ingenuity in the garage/shop has always been a big part of Nascar. The most "ingenoius" of them all was Smokey Yunick, who did everything he could to get an advantage, (and probably to irritate Big Bill, Too).

Are you gonna tell Roush, Yates, Childress, Ganassi etc that they CAN'T try to push the envelope and get an advantage, even if its sort of a questionable part?

As nascar makes the cars more and more "identical", the worse this "cheating" situation will become. I hope I'm wrong, but I sincerely believe this to be the case.

One more point. Again, JMO, but I believe that some folks are, shall we say as politely as possible, in the better graces with the Nascar brass than others. Finch is down on the list, and I admire him for speaking up. He may have some integrity. I don't think that nascar does, so I'm not too concerned with them losing what they only claim to have.

One final time(!) JMO.  D ick Smiley

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
sally
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 09:47:23 PM »

David Poole and Ben Blake have also reported that a Nascar inspector has bee fired over the incident.  No one is talking about why that happened, whether he screwedd up, or they suspect he deliberately overlooked something.  If it's Nascar's screwup, Finch shouldn't suffer.  But, with an owner that has no trouble criticizing Nascar, and a driver they don't approve of, how could Nascar pass up the chance to slap them down and assret that they are incharge, right or wrong.

Remember the old saying..." Power corrupts.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely".  Ever read a better definition of Nascar?

Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2005, 04:15:02 PM »

On Thursday's NASCAR Nation, director of competition Robin Pemberton confirmed that a NASCAR official has been released due to his role in the Johnny Sauter inspection.  He would not name the inspector, but said that the sanctioning body's investigation would continue.

The question is, how much will be revealed and how much will have to be leaked?  :roll:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2005, 06:20:03 PM »

guys i hope nascar won't cover up this incident.also good point about the identical cars nascar has dug their own holes on this issue and i agree there will be more and more cheating in the future.depressing thought just like drug use.
sally
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2005, 11:58:33 AM »

So, you think that Nascar will come clean about what happened with the #1 car last week?  HA!

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/11466914.htm

Sally :roll:
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2005, 03:46:58 AM »

Make sure he receives the proper punishment.

That was 1 of my favorite comments from north and south i like the way tillet sais it too it sounds cold and mean.

I wonder what went on with the official i wonder if he made a mistake?

Or if he was paidoff?

Since he was fired i'll bet either way he has no nice things to say about nascar.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2005, 06:24:51 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
So, you think that Nascar will come clean about what happened with the #1 car last week?  

All I know is that interview with Robin Pemberton on NASCAR Nation Thursday night actually sent me into a fit of giggles for some reason.  I felt like Robin picked the short straw and was sent out there to placate TV when he wasn't prepared at all.  

When the reporter asked him about how they pay $900 to be inspected by NASCAR, I was cracking up saying "Finch obviously didn't realize you had to pay $1500 for an accurate inspection..."

I know it's not funny, really, but has just reached the absurd state as far as I'm concerned.  If Pemberton wasn't suppose to let the cat out of the bag about the inspector being fired, they shouldn't have sent him out there to face the press.  Jim Hunter is becoming a much better prevaricator IMHO...Robin may be paid by NA$CAR, but, to me, it was clear by how uncomfortable he looked, his heart was probably with Finch and the team.

I guess I just have to laugh at how foolish NASCAR looks over this entire deal.  If they are now "displeased" with NASCAR Nation, then to me, that says they have plenty to hide.  All weekend, I was predicting they'd let Finch (and Sauter) win the Busch race just to shut him up.  That's how things usually work with NASCAR.  You take a penalty the week before and they let you end up in Victory Lane the next week.  Wait!  That's just the multi-million $$$ teams... :roll:

Cheryl
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2005, 12:52:48 PM »

From Jayski:

"The National Stock Car Racing Commission has not only rejected the appeal of car owner James Finch for an illegal carburetor found during post-race inspection at Texas, they slapped on an additional $25,000 fine. NASCAR had disqualified the #1 Dodge from the Busch Series race costing the team 125-points for finishing 14th and $28,000 in prize money. Also, Crew Chief Joe Shear Jr. was suspended until May 18th.
Commenting on the decision, Finch told PRNís Fast Talk with Benny Parsons radio show Monday night; "Itís pretty consistent with me. The last time I appealed one it was several years ago and it was a $5,000 fine and when it was over they made it 10."
Finchís main bone of contention is that NASCAR hands down the penalties AND hears appeals. "The racing is great, it always has been, Iím just saying that they need to give up part of the sport and let somebody else referee the rules. If they want to do this right, get an independent commission to make an independent hearing and make the ruling. Itís kind of like having a highway patrolman pull you over and tell you youíre speeding and you say...I donít believe I am...and he says yes you are...and you say okay, I donít believe you but Iím gonna sign the ticket. Then 30 minutes later you go to the courthouse and heís the judge. In the rule books itís all minimum fines...they donít have any maximum fines. In the NFL itís five yards off sides for everybody every time. In NASCAR itís according to who you are. In baseball itís three strikes youíre out...NASCAR itís according to whoís swinginí...just let Ďem keep swinginí."(PRNís Fast Talk with Benny Parsons)(4-25-2005)"

Last night on IWCR racing, Spencer said he knew the inspector and he was very gullible or something like that.  Surprised me that Jimmy would speak up against Finch, who he has driven for in the past.  I don't we'll ever hear the real truth of what happened, but if an individual inspector did get snookered, why can't NASCAR just fire him and admit someone made a mistake?  Oh yeah, that's right, NASCAR NEVER admits they make mistakes.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2005, 03:49:01 PM »

Oh, so the Stock Car Racing Commission isn't independent? :lol:

Personally, I would like to see James Finch pull all his teams from NASCAR out of principle.  Maybe he can move his teams to ARCA or ProCup and have a lot more fun in the sport.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: