November 22, 2017, 06:21:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HDTV  (Read 921 times)
sally
« on: April 17, 2005, 12:44:19 AM »

All you out there with HDTV tell me...is the crummy picture I'm getting during the race due to the fact that I don't have Hi def?  I know that the sound doesn't sync properly most of the time, but the picture was lousy too!  Is this just another way to cater to the 'elite' and leave the rest of us poor schmucks the scraps again?

Sally

And while I'm here, why does Texas seem to think that anything in or from Texas is "America's... whatever".  It used to be the Dallas Cowboys being 'America's team', and today I hear that Texas is "America's greatest track', or some such nonsense.  Not in MY book, baby. :evil:
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 04:36:33 PM »

Sally, there was a problem with the picture quality at the Fox end at the start of the race, as well as an audio problem with the anthem singer's microphone.  However, these problems were resolved within 40 minutes.

Also, to clarify, the tag line at each commercial break was "The Great American Speedway, Fort Worth, TX".

Another oops from Chris Myers: he said that anthem singer Kerry Harvick is not related to Kevin Harvick.  According to the speedway, they are actually cousins.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 01:37:51 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
All you out there with HDTV tell me...is the crummy picture I'm getting during the race due to the fact that I don't have Hi def?  I know that the sound doesn't sync properly most of the time, but the picture was lousy too!  Is this just another way to cater to the 'elite' and leave the rest of us poor schmucks the scraps again?

Uh, choosing to show a program in an HDTV format shouldn't affect the standard definition (SD) broadcasts at all.  HBO has been doing it just fine for many years (since about 1997 I believe).  That said, because of high winds on Saturday, we couldn't get a stable HD picture via our roof antenna.  So we had to watch the SD broadcast of the Busch race over the satellite on Saturday and the picture looked like crap to me.  I figured it was because (as I've heard for a long time), DirecTV compresses the signals for their local channels and that degrades the quality significantly.  Some of the first shots of the cars on the track were so blurry and "slow" looking, it made you think you were watching film instead of a live event.  I planned to call DirecTV and complain about that today.  After reading your post yesterday, I wondered exactly what Fox is doing.  

It's clear they really don't have a handle on HD that's for sure.  Besides the fact they chose less than the highest quality HD format, it appeared on Saturday they they aren't able to simulcast HD and SD as successfully as HBO, Showtime, CBS, ABC, NBC and others have done.  Being Fox, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Was your picture as bad for Sunday's race.  Thankfully, the winds died down and we could pick up the HD broadcast, so I never had to check what the satellite picture looked like yesterday.

Cheryl
kgregg
Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 02:29:50 PM »

Quote from: "sally"

Sally-

Boy, do you sound bitter!  

There is usually no relationship between the quality of a non HDTV broadcast and the quality of an HDTV broadcast.  I've had Comcast's HDTV service since Dec, 03.  The pic quality is great almost all of the time.  (I did not watch the race yesterday.)  

Are you a cable tv user?  Or do you have DirecTV?  Maybe just rabbit ears?  You have not given us much info to go on.  Kevin
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 04:23:21 PM »

And, Cheryl, during those first 40 minutes I referred to in the last post, you could barely see the drivers' names on the ticker.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 08:11:12 PM »

Since 1969 I have lived in the West Coast states of CA and OR with many frequent visits to WA state, Nevada and Arizona.  I am still trying to figure out when they moved Texas to the West.  I was really confused over this.  Are the states located above Texas now considered out west also??  Somebody tell me where I am, please... :?

I don't have hd, but my picture quality was as good as always considering I watch on a 32" $268 flat screen set.  I always have trouble reading the scroll at the top due to the color and font.  We are waiting and saving to buy an hd sometimes next year.  Dish says they broadcast in hd but I still have never viewed it.
sally
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 10:13:14 PM »

I have cable, and generally get a decent picture.  I've only noticed degeneration during the HD broadcasts from Fox, at least at the beginning of the program.

Sally
kgregg
Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 11:11:38 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
I am still trying to figure out when they moved Texas to the West.  I was really confused over this.  Are the states located above Texas now considered out west also??  Somebody tell me where I am, please... :?

Vivian-
From where I "sit" (near Balto, MD) everything west of Mississippi River is "out west".   [grin]

Do yourself a favor and visit your local "big box" electronics store.  Go to the TV section and ask to see their HDTV systems (preferably next to a non HD television so you can do true side by side comparision).  The pic quality difference is stunning.    Kevin
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 01:46:41 AM »

Kevin, The closest big electronics store to me is about 75 miles from my home.  65 from where I work.  Get there about once every 6 - 8 weeks.  I will try to check it out.  We do have a Walmart about 40 miles away but I could not tell a difference in the ones they advertise as hd.  Looked like regular to me.  Don't know what they were feeding into it.   :?  Told you I live in the country (and like it that way).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: