Speedcouch Forum

General Discussions => Feedback on Racing TV Shows => Topic started by: Cheryl on November 02, 2005, 03:16:30 PM



Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Cheryl on November 02, 2005, 03:16:30 PM
We recorded this show on Monday and watched it last night.  I was pleasantly surprised this week.  There was a lot less of the "flash" editing as in week 1.  This week, they showed the first 5 drivers testing at Martinsville.  Very interesting to see the differences in their results and the different degrees of their racing experience.  Also interesting to hear the comments from the "judges", Jack Roush, Ricky Craven, Mike Beam, Doug Richert, and others.  Of them all, Jack's comments seemed less natural and more "acting for TV."  Perhaps, he's just not comfortable speaking in front of the camera.

Overall, I think this show is well worth watching and very interesting.  It airs Monday night's 8 p.m. (eastern) on Discovery Channel.  Each week, I believe they repeat last week's show at 7 p.m. as a lead-in to the new episode.  For anyone out there with HD, they will begin repeating ALL episodes on Discovery HD Theater on Nov 7th.

Cheryl


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Desmond on November 02, 2005, 08:15:21 PM
The drivers were Bubba Pollard, Scott Lynch, Sam Beam, Jason Boyd, and Jeffrey Choquette.

They were ranked on a points system and the top 12 scores after all the drivers finish will move on to the next round.  I believe that Boyd had the highest score of the group and Pollard had the lowest.

Pollard, only 18, was especially nervous in the truck.  He is definitely not ready.


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Vivian on November 02, 2005, 09:02:23 PM
I enjoyed that show Monday night.  I was really impressed with one of the drivers.  I thought the last driver they showed, I think Jeffrey,  had an awful lot of desire & talent plus he seemed to be very knowledgeable about what it takes to set a vehicle up.  So far, I think he is the best although his scores put him in 2nd place so far.


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Cheryl on November 02, 2005, 09:05:29 PM
Quote from: "Vivian"
I enjoyed that show Monday night.  I was really impressed with one of the drivers.  I thought the last driver they showed, I think Jeffrey,  had an awful lot of desire & talent plus he seemed to be very knowledgeable about what it takes to set a vehicle up.  So far, I think he is the best although his scores put him in 2nd place so far.


Thanks for bringing up set-up, Vivian.  I forgot to mention that. I liked that they set up the truck tight, so the drivers had to be responsible for deciding how to adjust it.  That way, Roush knows they know something about how the car/truck works and could give the appropriate feedback to their crew chief.  Glad it doesn't appear to be just a "beauty pagent" like so many think determines drivers these days.  

Cheryl


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Desmond on November 10, 2005, 04:55:14 AM
Episode 3 recap:

--Travis Kittleson blew an engine on his second 20-lap run; he had to go into a backup to drive the evaluation laps (third 20-lap run).
--Danny O'Quinn ran a lap of 20.61 seconds, the first driver to surpass the standard time of 20.86 set by Ricky Craven.  His overall score is the best of the 10 drivers so far.
--Sondi Eden performed better than any of the judges expected.
--Matt Jaskol and Nevin George were average at best.

Official show website:
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/driverx/driverx.html (http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/driverx/driverx.html)


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Desmond on November 17, 2005, 02:55:54 AM
Summary of Episode 4 (drivers 11-15):

--The key word is disappointment.  Justin Allgaier and Christi Passmore, two of the pre-competition favorites, have already been eliminated because their scores are in the bottom three.  Passmore never fully recovered from a spin early in the second 20-lap segment.  Allgaier, who has driven for Mike Mittler in the Craftsman Truck Series, was uncharacteristically nervous and never really gained speed.
--Chuck Barnes and Jason Hogan, rivals on the late-model circuit in the Southeast, had the two highest scores in the group.  Barnes, in fact, has the fourth-best score overall, and if I remember correctly, Hogan is eighth.
--Chris Andrews, son of Kyle Petty's Cup crew chief Paul Andrews (who I believe has worked with both Burton brothers), also drove on this episode.

Only the top 12 scores after all drivers have completed their runs around Martinsville will qualify for the Darlington round, which is why Allgaier and Passmore are already gone.


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Cheryl on November 17, 2005, 01:25:37 PM
Quote from: "Desmond"
former NASCAR cup crew chief Paul Andrews (who I believe has worked with both Burton brothers


Paul Andrews was 1992 Winston Cup Champion Crew Chief for Alan Kulwicki.

Cheryl


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Desmond on November 17, 2005, 05:19:37 PM
Quote from: "Cheryl"
Paul Andrews was 1992 Winston Cup Champion Crew Chief for Alan Kulwicki.


What a magical season that was!  Kulwicki may end up being the last true underdog driver to win what is now the Nextel Cup championship.  Even the new limit on the number of teams is not guaranteed to work, and probably won't.


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Desmond on November 22, 2005, 08:11:35 PM
Episode 5 recap:

--The drivers in this group were from all over the place: North Carolina, Maine, California, Indiana and New Zealand.
--David Ragan wanted to pull tape from under the grille, but was not allowed to do so.  So he wanted to pull a lot of wedge from both sides of the car, or something like that.  Jack Roush allowed the change.
--Michael Pickens cried after Roush came to him and spoke to him personally.  According to narrator Mason Pettit, this doesn't happen too often.  Earlier in his segment, it was revealed that New Zealand, the country he is from, has no paved tracks.
--Joey Clark got some encouragement from fellow Maine native Ricky Craven.
--Late in the show, the highlight of Craven's race win at Martinsville in October was shown.  Todd Kluever, winner of the 2004 "gong show," finished second in the race.
--In the group, Ragan had the best score, Pickens had the worst.

Overall standings (after 20 of 25 drivers):
  1. Danny O'Quinn*
  2. Jason Boyd*
  3. Travis Kittleson*
  4. David Ragan*
  5. Chuck Barnes*
  6. Tim Andrews*
  7. Auggie Vidovich*
  8. Jason Hogan
  9. Joey Clark
10. Jeffrey Choquette
11. Scott Lynch
12. Michael Lewis
13. Nevin George+
14. Kevin Jaskol+
15. Bubba Pollard+
16. Sondi Eden+
17. Michael Pickens+
18. Justin Allgaier+
19. Sam Beam+
20. Christi Passmore+

*Qualified for the next round
+Eliminated


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Cheryl on November 22, 2005, 08:17:11 PM
Desmond,

Please remember this section is suppose to be for "feedback" from the viewers on this show.  Where the members tell the Discovery Channel what they think of the show.  Not for a "recap" of what happened every week.

Tell us what you thought about the show!  Do you like the editing, number of commercials, etc?  Do you like how the producers give us a little background on each driver?  Tell us what you don't like about the show (if there is anything.)

From what you post every week, I can't even tell if you actually watch the show or just copy a synopsis from the Discovery website.   :?   Come on, let's remember why the Speedcouch Forum was created!  So viewers can tell the various networks what they like/dislike about race broadcasts and racing shows on TV.  

Thanks!
Cheryl


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Desmond on November 22, 2005, 08:29:58 PM
Cheryl, if you insist on my opinions, here they are:

--The show doesn't traditionally resemble "reality TV" in the sense that there is a narrator and some educational matter.  This is a good show to watch, whether you're a first-time NASCAR watcher or whether you have watched the sport for a long time.
--The research staff obviously did their homework on the driver background pieces.  I would have liked to have seen more highlights, including that of David Ragan's win in the ARCA race at Lanier last May.
--I gave the recap as to which drivers are still in the competition and which ones are not.  I like the fact that we already know these results, and the drivers don't.  Let them face all the tension and suspense.
--We see how hands-on Jack Roush is as an owner.  Thanks, Discovery, for showing us that side of him.


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Cheryl on November 22, 2005, 11:43:38 PM
Quote from: "Desmond"
Cheryl, if you insist on my opinions, here they are:

--The show doesn't traditionally resemble "reality TV" in the sense that there is a narrator and some educational matter.  This is a good show to watch, whether you're a first-time NASCAR watcher or whether you have watched the sport for a long time.
--The research staff obviously did their homework on the driver background pieces.  I would have liked to have seen more highlights, including that of David Ragan's win in the ARCA race at Lanier last May.
--I gave the recap as to which drivers are still in the competition and which ones are not.  I like the fact that we already know these results, and the drivers don't.  Let them face all the tension and suspense.
--We see how hands-on Jack Roush is as an owner.  Thanks, Discovery, for showing us that side of him.


Thanks, Desmond!   :-D   That was great!

As to the race at Lanier, it wasn't even televised, so there aren't any highlights.  

Cheryl


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: old hot rodder on November 23, 2005, 08:04:14 PM
Cheryl, I watched the first two weeks, but missed the subsequent shows, so I have appreciated Desmond's updates.
 I would have been suprised if the Discovery Channel had not come up with a pretty good production, and I think they have. Trying to cover eack of the 25 drivers during the first episode seemed a bit much, but I supposed that they felt compelled to do so.
 Overall, not a bad show at all. I think it does demonstrate the intensity involved with big time racing pretty well.


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Vivian on November 28, 2005, 09:52:49 PM
Don't forget it is on tonight with the last 5 of the 25 drivers.  I am really looking forward to it.  Turns out Roush had a good idea when he decided to televise it although I has reservations at the first announcement of him wanting to televise it.  Thanks, Jack!


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: old hot rodder on November 29, 2005, 03:30:55 PM
I was able to watch last night's show while I was doing some "cardiac rehab" (don't ask  :-D ), and enjoyed it.
 I wish they would not cut from one scene to another so quickly, kinda gave me a headache.
 Overall, I thought it was good. I thought the producers/directors worked a bit too much trying to dramatize the last 3 of the 12 selected, and Jack did too.
 On the plus side, I thought they did a good job of discussing the different "lines"  around the track in relationship to the speeds which the drivers were able to obtain, and points like that.
 And no matter how you slice it, this show sure beats watching a bunch of silly talking heads blabbering on about this little thing or that, ad nauseum,.... :twisted:


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Cheryl on November 29, 2005, 03:48:05 PM
Quote from: "old hot rodder"
I wish they would not cut from one scene to another so quickly, kinda gave me a headache.


Yes, that's been my biggest criticism of the show.  Their "flash" editing techniques.  

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
On the plus side, I thought they did a good job of discussing the different "lines"  around the track in relationship to the speeds which the drivers were able to obtain, and points like that.


I enjoy that too.  I also like that Jack is letting one of the spotters be a full participant in the decision-making process.  I think he has more credibility than Kluever who was in the show last year.  

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
And no matter how you slice it, this show sure beats watching a bunch of silly talking heads blabbering on about this little thing or that, ad nauseum,.... :twisted:


Agree 100%.  Also, like that this is really more of a documentary about the process than an staged "reality" show like so many shows on TV these days.

Cheryl


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Desmond on November 30, 2005, 01:28:26 AM
Well, Cheryl, maybe last night wasn't staged, but the show featured a twist that all the other reality shows could be proud of.

For weeks, announcer Mason Pettit told us that the drivers who recorded the top 12 scores, as determined by Jack Roush and other judges, would advance to the second round of the competition to determine Roush Racing's next signee for the truck series.  However, in a final deliberation, Roush decided to throw out his own group's scores and use it only as a guide to determine who moved on and who went home.

To me, that stinks!  Throw out your own subjective scoreboard and replace it with more subjectivity.  There had to be some pressure put on Roush by the producers to add deliberate drama to the show, which needs none.

At least Roush did seem to stick to the scores for the most part.  He could have gone completely Hollywood and selected someone like Michael Pickens or Sondi Eden, but both were sent home.

Also, the show should have told us that Erik Darnell already had a driver development contract with Roush Racing of some kind.  This begs the question of why he is even competing.

P.S. I was going to remove the posts that were summaries rather than reviews, but I kept them because one of them segued to remembering Tim Andrews' dad, and I thought that would have made the post incoherent.  Sorry.


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Cheryl on November 30, 2005, 01:19:14 PM
Quote from: "Desmond"
Well, Cheryl, maybe last night wasn't staged, but the show featured a twist that all the other reality shows could be proud of.

For weeks, announcer Mason Pettit told us that the drivers who recorded the top 12 scores, as determined by Jack Roush and other judges, would advance to the second round of the competition to determine Roush Racing's next signee for the truck series.  However, in a final deliberation, Roush decided to throw out his own group's scores and use it only as a guide to determine who moved on and who went home.

To me, that stinks!  Throw out your own subjective scoreboard and replace it with more subjectivity.  


To me, it just says that in the end, it's Jack's company and "show" and he has the final say.  In other words, it's HIS money on the line when he puts one of these guys in a truck, so he has the right to overrule the scores based on his own "gut" feeling.  

I'm sure in the past, he's used the same "veto" power when selecting a driver.  We just didn't see it on TV.   ;)

Cheryl


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Desmond on December 08, 2005, 05:44:41 PM
In case you're wondering:

Roush Racing Driver X will return to the Discovery Channel on Dec. 26 at 7 p.m. ET/PT.  (Source: David Smith Motorsports website (http://www.davidsmithmotorsports.com))

As Cheryl thought, the program was not shown this week and was officially put on hiatus.

By the way, Smith, a NASCAR talent scout who has talked to several teams, has a summary of each episode similar to the ones I have put up under Race Talk.  Also, the site won't be updated again until the end of January due to the NASCAR off-season, and also because Smith is taking final exams at the University of Central Florida where he is a student.


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Vivian on December 08, 2005, 09:09:18 PM
Thanks for the info on the return of the show, Des


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Desmond on January 03, 2006, 09:32:23 AM
Tonight's show was well-produced, probably the best of the shows so far.  The producers took advantage of the great access that was afforded them, both on and off the track.

The historic footage from Darlington reminded us of why this racetrack is such a treasure and should never leave the NASCAR schedule, no matter how hard they try. :evil:

Just one question, though: will the show end before the next Craftsman Truck Series season starts? :roll:


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Cheryl on January 04, 2006, 01:54:59 PM
We recorded the show on Tivo on Monday and watched it last night (we watched one of the 1000 bowl games Monday night).  

I was quite surprised Travis Kittleson was eliminated during this round.  I really think he's a good driver and seems like a nice kid (even though they think 26 is too old).  I've followed him in ASA and ARCA for the last couple of years.  And I'm partial to anyone named Travis.   ;) Maybe he'll end up running Hooters one of these days and we can meet him.  I think his personality would fit in there quite well.

Auggie did an awesome job though and I'm happy he moves to the next round.  He also seems like a good guy and I remember either he or his Dad from the truck series when it first started.  

Choquette isn't ready for asphault at all IMHO.  He may be young, but he was obviously very intimidated by the size and speed of Darlington.  He needs to get more experience on pavement before he comes back.  

Based on the way they are going, with 4 drivers each week, the show should be done in the next month (plenty of time before the Daytona truck race on 17 Feb.)

Cheryl


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Vivian on January 10, 2006, 09:12:26 PM
Got to watch last night.  The show was interesting.  They did seem to jump around a bit though.  I do like the show but I also think as I am watching it (and I know it has already been decided by now) that Jack had already made up his mind even before the end of the sessions.  JMO...in other words, it is all just for 'show'.  Again, JMO...


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Cheryl on January 11, 2006, 01:37:13 PM
Quote from: "Vivian"
Got to watch last night.  The show was interesting.  They did seem to jump around a bit though.  I do like the show but I also think as I am watching it (and I know it has already been decided by now) that Jack had already made up his mind even before the end of the sessions.  JMO...in other words, it is all just for 'show'.  Again, JMO...


I think Monday night's show did, indeed, show Jack's "executive privilege" in keeping Peter Shepherd since Peter's score at Darlington was much lower than some of the guys who were eliminated there last week.  But I think Jack was far from having made any final choice at that time.  To me, it just showed (as the group said), he felt Peter had a lot of potential.  And remember, this and Martinsville were the two largest tracks he'd ever been on.  I'm all for guys with potential, trust me!  And I'd love to see one of them "crazy cannucks" land a ride with a top NASCAR team.

What impressed me this week was the "hand-eye coordination" tests they gave the guys.  Now THAT was something I'd never heard about the competition before.  

Also, don't know if anyone else caught Danny O'Quinn's comment to the doctor when doing the stress test.  The doctor asked what Danny usually ate before a race and he replied "a Spam sandwich."  Way to go, Danny!  Keeping it real for the traditional race fans!   :D   In case anyone thinks Danny is a so-called "bubba," check out his bio on the Discovery page for the show.  He maintained a 3.5 in high school while racing full-time.  I've talked to Danny at length at Hooters races and he may have a southern accent, but trust me, he's far from a "bubba."  

Cheryl


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Desmond on January 11, 2006, 06:41:06 PM
Quote from: "Cheryl"
The doctor asked what Danny usually ate before a race and he replied "a Spam sandwich."  Way to go, Danny!  Keeping it real for the traditional race fans!   :D


I have also become a fan of Danny's this season.  I wish him well wherever he goes in his racing career.

The show is getting better and better each week.  I want to see this level of depth shown of contestants on other shows like Survivor or The Apprentice, where we learn nothing about them except that they are cutthroat competitors.  In other words, there is no "other side."

See Race Talk for my recap of Monday's show.


Title: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X
Post by: Cheryl on January 11, 2006, 07:16:40 PM
Quote from: "Desmond"
Quote from: "Cheryl"
I want to see this level of depth shown of contestants on other shows like Survivor or The Apprentice, where we learn nothing about them except that they are cutthroat competitors.  In other words, there is no "other side."


Desmond, please remember this is not a "reality" show; it's a documentary of a REAL process.  Not some contrived situations where the "contestants" act out for TV.  Trust me, if it was like those shows, I wouldn't be watching.  

Cheryl