Speedcouch Forum

General Discussions => TV Talk => Topic started by: Richie on August 10, 2005, 10:10:18 PM



Title: Was that a different Wally World car?
Post by: Richie on August 10, 2005, 10:10:18 PM
I noticed the Wally world car this past week was a Petty Experience car and not a State Farm Car.  Was that because of AllState's Sponsorship?  
I still think that the ride along program does little to inform the viewer, and is usually just a bunch of screaming.  Again, I have had the chance to do a ride along at Lowes motor speedway and while it was exciting riding so close to the wall coming off turn 4,a really awsome feeling, silly screaming was not something I thought about doing.  So often I think that is just a little overkill by some of the ride along guest, Wally seems to like it, because he noted this past weeks guest ws the first female not to scream.


And at the risk of sounding Anti-Weber, I really enjoy the Busch races that Alan does more than those Weber does.  Someone speculated once that Alan and Wally did not work well together, but I thought they sounded great Saturday, especially with so much time to spend together during rain delay.  JMHO


Title: Was that a different Wally World car?
Post by: Vivian on August 10, 2005, 10:47:11 PM
Didn't see the pre race show so can't help you in the Wally car thing.

Richie wrote:

Quote
I really enjoy the Busch races that Alan does more than those Weber does. Someone speculated once that Alan and Wally did not work well together, but I thought they sounded great Saturday, especially with so much time to spend together during rain delay. JMHO


Alan does do the Busch races well.  And I agree that he and Wally work well together.  I just keep reminding myself that at least we get coverage and are fortunate in that manner.


Title: Re: Was that a different Wally World car?
Post by: Cheryl on August 11, 2005, 01:01:56 PM
Quote from: "Richie"
I noticed the Wally world car this past week was a Petty Experience car and not a State Farm Car.  Was that because of AllState's Sponsorship?


I didn't see the pre-race show either, but I'm sure you are right that they couldn't use State Farm because Allstate was sponsoring the race.

Quote from: "Richie"
I still think that the ride along program does little to inform the viewer, and is usually just a bunch of screaming.  Again, I have had the chance to do a ride along at Lowes motor speedway and while it was exciting riding so close to the wall coming off turn 4,a really awsome feeling, silly screaming was not something I thought about doing.  So often I think that is just a little overkill by some of the ride along guest, Wally seems to like it, because he noted this past weeks guest ws the first female not to scream.


I think most times the ride along is just a way to promote some movie star or something.  Really doesn't have anything to do with racing or real race fans.  Like you, I think a real race fan would enjoy the ride instead of "overacting" like most of these folks do.  Now me, I'd probably legtimately be screaming my head off, but then I've never wanted to be that close to the wall at over 150 mph.   :shock:   I'm not a happy passenger on the highway.  Just ask Lou.  Now if I ever get a chance to ride along with a driver on a short track, I might be interested.  I could probably deal much better with speeds just above 100 or an average of 90something.   :lol:

Quote from: "Richie"
And at the risk of sounding Anti-Weber, I really enjoy the Busch races that Alan does more than those Weber does.  Someone speculated once that Alan and Wally did not work well together, but I thought they sounded great Saturday, especially with so much time to spend together during rain delay.  JMHO


I agree that Allen and Wally have always seemed to work well together and I really enjoy them on the Busch broadcasts this year too.  Part of it is one less person in the booth (I've always thought three was too many) and also just the "pared" down broadcast for Busch races.  No pointers and excessive graphics.  Just basic, professional broadcasting and focus on the race, not everything else but the race.

Cheryl


Title: Was that a different Wally World car?
Post by: Desmond on August 11, 2005, 03:47:38 PM
Wally's World.  Just another way to bring more celebrities into the NASCAR fold.  ;)

Then again, I'd probably be screaming too because of the high speeds.  The segment is a good way for us to appreciate the risks race car drivers take every time they compete.